Even though the term ‘Milk War’ sounds kinda fun, apparently it’s quite serious at the moment here in Australia, and things are starting to get pretty real for small dairy farmers around the country.
Basically the two biggest supermarkets, Coles and Woolworths, have discounted the price of their generic branded milk to $1 per litre, and dairy farmers are feeling the flow-on effects.
It got me thinking about why there’s an obsession with the price of milk, and why I’ve never worried about paying more for the organic stuff.
So here’s the list of reasons I came up with:
- I’m keeping organic dairy farms alive.
- I love having the cream under the lid.
- It’s better for my joints, teeth, heart, and bones.
- It tastes SO MUCH better.
- I don’t care about fat content (the fat’s in there for a reason).
- I can do without the unnatural enzymes.
- I have a soft spot for Dairy farmers (one made me coffee and toast once).
- The huge generic brands get enough of my money.
- It makes the cows happier.
All this for an extra $1? I’ll pay that every time.